Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year to visit your family and spend quality time with your loved ones. However, there are many hazards you should be wary of when preparing for and celebrating Thanksgiving in 2019. You may get compensated for your Thanksgiving-related injury in certain circumstances. Here at Roberts Law Office, our Lexington personal injury lawyer will evaluate your case to determine whether you have a right to obtain compensation for your injuries this holiday season.
Thanksgiving Cooking Safety Tips
Preparing meals and cooking for Thanksgiving is not only costly, time-consuming, and stressful, but it is also a dangerous endeavor. Here are some cooking safety tips for Thanksgiving to prevent personal injury:
- Do not wear loose clothing to avoid catching fire
- Never leave the stove unattended (if you need to leave the kitchen, ask a family member to look after the stove or turn it off)
- Use a timer when using the stove or oven
- Keep the kids away from the kitchen
- Keep all items that can burn or catch fire away from the cooking area
- Have a fire extinguisher handy
- Be cautious when using knives and other kitchen tools and appliances
- Always check the kitchen before leaving home or going to bed to make sure that all appliances and devices are turned off
Thanksgiving Home Decoration Safety Tips
Cooking is not the only dangerous activity this holiday season, as you could also sustain an injury when decorating your house. Follow these Thanksgiving home decoration safety tips to prevent an injury:
- Make sure you purchase materials and decorations that are fire-resistant
- Set up or hang decorations away from the fireplace, radiators, heaters, stove, and other areas where the items could catch fire
- Have someone hold the ladder and guard the bottom of it when decorating the house
- Double-check your lights for safety
- Keep candles on a sturdy base or stand to prevent falling or tipping
- Do not exceed the maximum number of devices or strings that may be linked together
Dangers to Expect During Thanksgiving
The most common hazards that may cause you harm during Thanksgiving are:
Overcrowded grocery stores and shopping malls around Thanksgiving are associated with an increased risk of slip and fall accidents. A customer or guest can sustain back or disc injury due to spilled drinks or food, icy sidewalks, and wet, slippery, or mopped floors. Burn injuries are also common during Thanksgiving because it is considered a cooking holiday. House fires are quite common during the holiday season. The risk of a burn injury during Thanksgiving is heightened if meals are prepared in a hurry with disregard for safety precautions. Food poisoning is also quite common during Thanksgiving due to improper handling and cooking of raw poultry, inadequate storage of foods, and purchasing contaminated or expired food products.
Regardless of how your Thanksgiving-related injury occurred, you may be entitled to compensation. Speak with a Lexington personal injury lawyer to discuss your legal options. Contact our attorneys at Roberts Law Office to receive a free consultation. Call at (859) 231-0202 today.