When you are involved in a car accident in Lexington, Kentucky, there will be a lot going through your mind. How badly am I injured? Who will pay my medical bills? If I was not at fault, do I really need to hire a lawyer? All of these questions are valid and should not be ignored. First and foremost, make sure you seek medical attention when involved in an accident, even if you do not think you were injured. Today, we will take a look at how a personal injury attorney can help you after a car accident.
Why You Should Consult an Attorney
You should consult an attorney whenever you are involved in an accident, even if the accident was caused by the other driver involved or some other factor. Legal cases can get complex. Understanding the laws of Kentucky can be difficult. Laws change often and if you are not keeping up with them, like lawyers do, you will not know how the laws affect you when involved in an accident. Some of the other things an attorney can help you do after a car accident include the following:
- Acquire the evidence necessary to prove your claim
- Handle communications with the other driver’s insurance company and attorney
- Organize your medical records and medical bills
- Contact your doctors to acquire test results and other records
- Present the evidence in the proper light to prove liability
- Negotiate with those who hold liens against you after the accident
- Negotiate a settlement with insurance providers, workers’ compensation providers, or the defense attorneys involved
Choosing a Personal Injury Attorney
When the time comes to choose a personal injury attorney to represent you following a car accident, you need to make an informed decision. Do not simply work with the first attorney you come across or are referred to by someone you know. The following tips should help you determine the best attorney for your case:
- Ask for referrals from family and trusted friends
- Look for reviews online
- Review attorney websites and read testimonials
- Ask about the attorney’s experience handling car accidents
- Discuss the attorney’s experience with personal injury claims
- Ask about the attorney’s track record with cases
- Does the attorney always settle or does he or she have experience in court?
Protect Your Rights
Even though you were the person injured in the car accident and it was not your fault, you still need to protect your rights. Insurance companies do everything possible to pay as little as they can when claims are filed. Avoid talking to an insurance agent or adjuster prior to speaking to an experienced personal injury attorney. You do not want to accept any payout without first consulting with an attorney to find out if it is a legitimate offer.
Injured in a Car Accident? An Attorney can Help
A personal injury attorney is a valuable asset to have at your disposal after being involved in a car accident. Even if your injuries were minor, you can still recover compensation so you do not have to pay the medical bills. Call Roberts Law Office in Lexington, Kentucky at (859) 231-0202 to schedule a consultation about your case.